[CentOS-docs] New page on installing to software RAID

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 02:49:49 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 21:20, Phil Schaffner <P.R.Schaffner at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 21:48 +0200, Marcus Moeller wrote:
>> You wrote:
>> 'Some controllers claim to be RAID but require Windows drivers to
>> function, similar to winmodems.'
>>
>> This is not true. Some controllers make use of OS functionality. This
>> is not dependent to Windows.
>
> OK - agree that some such controllers may have Linux drivers.  Will note
> that.
> [...]
>> You wrote:
>> 'Disable any hardware-based RAID in the motherboard or RAID controller BIOS '
>>
>> Why that? I have some systems where I combine hardware- and softraids.
>> This may be the case on fakeraid controllers.
>
> OK - I know you understood what you thought I said, but what you heard
> was not what I meant. :-)  Will change "hardware-based RAID" "to fake
> RAID controllers without CentOS drivers".

Forgive me if I'm not reading you right, but are you advocating using
fake-raid cards if there are Linux drivers for them?

>From what I've seen in practice, and also from the general advice I've
seen in CentOS lists, I believe Linux RAID (based on mdadm) is
superior to any fake-raid, and should be the one we advise in the
Wiki.

If I were to decide, I believe the Wiki article should advise against
using any kind of fake-raid and use mdadm instead.

Filipe