[CentOS-docs] New page on installing to software RAID

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Apr 28 10:13:18 UTC 2009

hello,

Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> Forgive me if I'm not reading you right, but are you advocating using
> fake-raid cards if there are Linux drivers for them?

in some cases, corner for sure, dmraid is a way of life...

>>From what I've seen in practice, and also from the general advice I've
> seen in CentOS lists, I believe Linux RAID (based on mdadm) is
> superior to any fake-raid, and should be the one we advise in the
> Wiki.
>
> If I were to decide, I believe the Wiki article should advise against
> using any kind of fake-raid and use mdadm instead.

I'd like to go a step further and make the article only be about disks
where the raw block device is exposed directly to the system. Everything
else is an exception. And talking about that in the main article only
confuses things. Remember, most people looking for mdraid are already
looking at drive level block devices.

- KB