[CentOS-docs] Updated How to Setup a Software RAID on CentOS 5

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Wed Apr 29 15:10:30 UTC 2009

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Ned Slider wrote:...
>> Would using grub be simpler rather than directly editing
>> /boot/grub/device.map ? Something like...
>>
>> Following on from Section 1, reboot...
>>
>> Stop at the grub menu and enter the "c" option, which gives you the grub
>> prompt. Then:
>>
>> grub> device (hd0) /dev/sda
>> grub> root (hd0,0)
>> grub> setup (hd0)
>> grub> device (hd1) /dev/sdb
>> grub> root (hd1,0)
>> grub> setup (hd1)
>> grub> exit
>>
>> and test both disks are bootable. Achieves the same thing I guess.
>
> I believe that's true, in fact I think that approach is used in some of
> the links referenced from the RAID FAQ entry.  Could put it in as an
> alternate method.

... I guess even the first part above is unnecessary if grub has already
been correctly installed to the mbr of /dev/sda during installation.

IMHO I don't think there's a need for both - just which ever is
considered the /right/best/approved/ method (maybe something for others
to comment on?). Both work, both achieve the same thing :)