[CentOS-docs] Updated How to Setup a Software RAID on CentOS 5

Marcus Moeller mail at marcus-moeller.de
Thu Apr 30 09:16:04 UTC 2009

Dear Russ,

>>>   There's always going to be an argument about whether to put /boot and swap
>>> on RAID.  It's all about performance most of the time being slightly better
>>> versus stability in the event of device failure.
>>
>> I can't think of a good argument for not having /boot on the raid1.
>
> Then you do not support it, and see the recurring support load
> in #centos -- we get this load all the time.  It is from
> clueless newbies, barely able to communicate, with unknown
> controllers.  Putting /boot on raid adds complexity, it
> breaks, and it is needless in most cases.

I personally cannot agree on that. Syncing /boot 'manually' adds much
more complexibility, unless you add scripts that automate the process.

I also wonder what's wrong in having /boot on a RAID1 partition,
because rescue mode should offer all necessary tools to mount raid
partitions. Instead I would suggest to add a separate page with common
recovery scenarios.

Best Regards
Marcus