[CentOS-docs] Request for wiki page Tomcat6 from Red Hat SRPMs

RedShift redshift at pandora.be
Tue Aug 11 15:24:46 UTC 2009

Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 09:10, RedShift<redshift at pandora.be> wrote:
>> Is it possible to create a wiki page under my user (GlennMatthys)?
>>
>> Title: Tomcat 6 from Red Hat SRPMs
>> Category: Howtos
>
> Tomcat 6 is also available from JPackage.org's JPP 5.0:
> http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/jpackage/5.0/generic/free/repodata/repoview/T.group.html

Hello

When I look at the repository [1] there is no tomcat6 package there. So it appears lots of RPMs are missing, including tomcat6. I tried another mirror and it gave me the same result.

> I think it would be good to investigate the possibility of using those
> instead of building them yourself. It should be a lot less painful to
> do it, it should be less dependent on the current environment (you saw
> yourself how having a certain package installed had side effects on
> your build) and I think it would also work with the OpenJDK that is
> bundled with CentOS 5.3.

I will try again to compile the troublesome package using OpenJDK 1.6, but as the devs themselves have mentioned, it currently doesn't build with Java 1.6, only with 1.5. (For those that aren't following: [2]).

> I didn't try it myself (and for me it would be difficult to compare it
> to the one from RedHat) but I would suggest that you to do that before
> writing the Wiki page.

I remember reading on the CentOS list that there was some interest in building the other repositories that Red Hat supports (Web Application Stack, etc...), has this interest been lost?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Glenn

[1] http://jpackage.netmindz.net/5.0/redhat-el-5.0/free/RPMS/