[CentOS-docs] [CentOS] Dangerous Software Raid instructions on Wiki

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Aug 13 02:05:01 UTC 2009

Max Hetrick wrote:
> Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5
>>
>> has:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=64
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=64
>>
>> Will the joker who put in this particular gem without any warnings or a
>> clear explanation for those who need a clueby4 with regards to file
>> systems please either remove the instructions or add a very clear
>> warning that damage to file systems that is not recoverable will result
>> if run on the wrong disk(s).
>>
>> My successor at my previous job has gleefully followed those
>> instructions (he seriously needs a clueby4 which is why he bothers to
>> actually read HowTos) and on a production box (who wants pop-corn and
>> soda? Sorry, the er support conversation will not be on irc) and I think
>> this seriously highlights the need for HowTo writers to seriously
>> consider their audience as dumb monkeys that just follow whatever you
>> tell them to do without thinking if you do not list out things they
>> first have to think about or questions they first need to answer.
>>

> Just to make it even clearer and thwart any further damages, I edited
> the page to include:
>
> "This article addresses the setting up of a software (mdraid) RAID1 at
> install time on systems without a true hardware RAID* controller. The
> following dd commands will destroy all information on the disks. If you
> have data on the drives that you need access to, please backup the drives."
>
> If anyone destroys any other production systems, it's their own fault if
> they can't read the guide in the first paragraph and understand.

1) The Title of the article says "How to Setup a Software RAID on CentOS 5"
2) My successor is a real HK bred and born person so his command of the
English language is like most such persons; that is to say, very poor.
3) Regarding not letting him within ten feet of a production server,
well, that is not my business anymore. When I was there, I was the lone
ranger and so is my replacement. I guess it serves my previous boss
right who felt he could just pick anybody of the street to replace
because I only have high school education. Too bad he had to wait for
over six months to get what he has now.
4) Max, I actually agree with you but hey, the world is not perfect.
There will be clueless people given jobs they are not really suitable
for but we cannot just tell them to get lost can we now?
> Now, let this thread die on this list, or take it over to the docs list
> to continue.

Posted too to centos-docs for any further discussion.