[CentOS-docs] Wiki access request

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+centosdocs at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:58:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 5:12 AM, Alan Bartlett<ajb at elrepo.org> wrote:
> On 12/08/2009, Brian Mathis <brian.mathis+centosdocs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Requesting access for BrianMathis on the wiki to make misc edits and
>>  contributions.
>
> Will you please elaborate on what you have in mind.
>
> Alan.

I wanted to fix an issue that came up on the centos mailing list, and
I've also done a bit of work on aligning partitions with RAID stripes.
 Evolution had added a section on that, and I may be able to elaborate
on it.

However, I think that asking people to justify why they want Wiki
access highlights the issues that have been brought up in the "CentOS
Project Infrastructure" thread, as far as openness of the project
goes.  It really seems like contributions are discouraged at every
turn.

Most projects have an open wiki, but the one on CentOS is closed.  The
stated reason for that is to prevent spam.  That's an acceptable
reason, marginally, but one that people can deal with.  But the bar
then is raised even further where users have to go through this whole
process of proposing a topic, submitting ideas, and waiting for them
to be approved.  That isn't a wiki, that's a peer-reviewed journal --
and it's not what makes OSS communities strong.

So do we need to ask for access to ensure we're not spammers, or
because some people want control over everything?