[CentOS-docs] document proposal: TipsAndTricks/ApacheVHostDir

Ed Heron Ed at Heron-ent.com
Sat Aug 22 20:29:56 UTC 2009

From: "Manuel Wolfshant", Friday, August 21, 2009 3:31 PM

> No, the config file as distributed has - just like the original apache
> config - an example at the end of it.

I do understand that there is already a config file directory.  However, the
example virtual host is at the end of the the distributed Apache config
file.  From that positioning, I conclude that it is recommended to have the
virtual host stuff at the end, rather than the middle.  The existing include
is in the middle, therefore, (I'm concluding that) it is not recommended.
conf.d appears to be for module config files.

I don't know if the virtual host only inherits configuration directives that
are defined before it is.  If that is the case, any configuration items
after the conf.d include would not apply to the virtual hosts (though this
is easy to test).  Even if that is not the case, it still seems that putting
virtual host files in conf.d is improper.

Putting virtual host files in conf.d may work but appears to be a shortcut.
While nobody would suggest you can't take a shortcut, if it works for you,
there should be an official method.  To me, moving virtual hosts out of the
main config file requires a separate directory.

It may be my 'heritage' but separate directories is how it is done in
Gentoo.