[CentOS-docs] document proposal: TipsAndTricks/ApacheVHostDir

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+centosdocs at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 21:50:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Manuel
Wolfshant<wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> On 08/22/2009 10:29 PM, Ed Heron wrote:
>> It may be my 'heritage' but separate directories is how it is done in
>> Gentoo.
>>
> While we are at it, let's also add a folder for all existing modules and
> another one for symlinks of active modules, pointing back to the first
> folder.
> And also, let's have all vhosts in a folder, but all active vhosts
> should be symlinks to them, from another folder.
> And why not compile the binary from source, that's how gentoo does it !

There's a saying in the US: "If you have nothing nice to say, say
nothing at all".  I think that could be modified a bit to something
like "If you have nothing constructive to add, and prefer to make
passive-aggressive pot-shots from the sidelines, say nothing at all."

As for the topic at hand... I am not what one might call an "advanced"
user of apache -- I usually host one or two sites, and even with that
minimal config I find it difficult to configure apache by only
creating files in the conf.d directory.  I've not done a complete
analysis, but often it seems like settings in the main httpd.conf file
do not get overridden completely for every case.  I always end up
editing the httpd.conf file when the main purpose for a server is to
act as a web server.

I'd really like to know how to handle this as close to the "CentOS
Way" as possible.