[CentOS-docs] Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4321-, and BCM4322-based hardware install manual

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Thu Dec 31 13:20:10 UTC 2009

2009/12/29 Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier at argeo.org>:
>> More generally my question would be: if we would automate this
>> procedure in a RPM (including the download from Broadcom website),
>> would it count as redistribution??
>
> I'd like to ask again because I'm afraid this question went unoticed:
> if we were to automate this process (including the download), would it
> count as redistribution in your opinion?

In the light of the legal opinion that we (ELRepo) obtained, I say yes.

My advice to anyone using Broadcom source code released under that
restrictive license is to read it *very carefully*.

I think about this scenario:

A CentOS / RHEL / SL end user builds and installs the Broadcom driver
on { her | his } laptop by following Milos' guide. Some months later,
the laptop is stolen and is eventually used in some criminal activity.
In the course of the investigation of the subsequent crime, it is
discovered that the laptop (using the Broadcom driver) was a tool in
the crime. The victim (let's assume it is an Uncle Sam based
multi-national organisation) promptly makes a claim against Broadcom.
Broadcom, as a result of that license which the above end user has
agreed to by building and installing the driver, promptly makes an
equivalent claim *plus* all of its fee, costs, etc, against the end
user. Very nasty for the end user. (Milos' however is quite safe. He
has just clearly explained how to install the driver and not provided
a binary copy to *anyone*.)

Anyone concerned with the terms and clauses of that Broadcom license
should obtain professional legal advice.

Regards,
Alan.