[CentOS-docs] Improving the website and forums

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Sat Jan 3 20:13:21 UTC 2009

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 6:45 AM, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
>
>> www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Networking Support - Wireless ...
>> 14.7. Establishing a Wireless Connection
>> www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Networking Support - Intel ...
>
>> My advise:
>>
>>  - Get rid of the "www.centos.org -" prefix for all pages
>
> Not sure how to achieve this, but if possible just change to "CentOS"
>
>>  - Get rid of the "Forums -" prefix for the forums
>
> Without this, how would you be able to tell this is a Forum post?  The
> first two items may be combined into "CentOS Forums" ?

People will see if this is the forum when they click through. It shouldn't
matter to the person looking for a solution whether this is a forum, what
matters is if the solution helps. And the more generic info in the front
of the title, the less it is useful for the job at hand.

>>  - Get rid of the "Networking Support" prefix for the forums
>
> We can shorten to "Networking" but cannot get rid of the whole thing.
> This is defined as the Forum Topics.  We cannot remove it entirely.

Why would that matter to the person googling for his keywords ? I don't
mind that there is a structure within the forums for people using the
forums, but there is no need to export that information to the title.
(which is of little use to the forum users itself)

>>  - Move the "CentOS 5 -" to the end of the title (or get rid of it too)
>
> There is a history to this.  Without the "CentOS 5" etc, management of
> the CentOS Forums was very difficult and time-consuming (for us
> moderators).  So, this was added after discussion with Fabian and
> Johnny.  Again we can shorten it to "C5" for example.

I don't mind of the categories for the forums, I do mind that everything
is put in the page title making it impossible for people to find their
answers. You can have one without the other, although it may require some
fiddling.