[CentOS-docs] Improving the website and forums

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 07:36:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 01:14 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>
> > JohnS wrote:

> >> No it has to be Submitted to Google.
> >
> > Yeah, I know that :)
>
> I have submitted 5 sitemaps to Google, the TitleIndex above (does not
> work) as well as the ?action=sitemap of the frontpage (made for it but
> limited).

Yes, I know that (TitleIndex) can not be used as is. But it can be used to make a site map or used soley for
reference data of the Wiki. || ?action=sitemap || is a basis of what the google python site map tools do.

> After that I also added the HowTos, TipsAndTricks and HowTos/Laptops
> sitemaps. We could always add some more of them. Any good suggestions ?

Owie, Owie, Now how did you do that? Lets see if I understand you
right??? You submitted a site map for "HowTos", "TipsAndTricks" and
"HowTos/Laptops" all Separate of each other? As in 3 different site
maps? That is a problem in itself. No wonder nothing doesn't come up
correct on a search. The Wiki needs One Sole Site Map and that's it.
Just one map is all that is needed of the whole site. Maybe Daily or
Weekly creation of it.

Example: http://wiki.centos.org/FrontPage?action=sitemap that you
referenced to in the links below SEO . You would then save the XML Data
(via wget) and submit the URL to google. That is basically what my
there is a BIG Lacking Problem though. There is no Descriptive Text or
Keywords in the Meta Name Tag. There needs to be something done about
this.

However as the Wiki grows in size there needs to be a different format
that it is generated in. XML gets cumbersome as the xml file size grows.
Management of it begins to suffer. While the XML format is good for
small formats less than 1MB it is process consuming for greater sizes
and has to be manipulated inside RAM.  You can see this live on any
MoinMoin based site as I just discovered Moin can create its on map .  I
presume it is using the python base xml libary (the execution time it
takes to generate the map) instead of something like the SAX Libary. I
don't have an install of Moin to see for sure?? None the less XML is a
popular format for sitemaps.

> I found these pages with additional information:
>
> http://moinmo.in/SearchEngineOptimization
> http://moinmo.in/ActionMarket/SiteMap
>
> Any feedback welcomed,

JohnStanley