[CentOS-docs] wiki page edit request HowTos/Disk_Optimization

Danny Rawlins monster.romster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 07:32:37 UTC 2009

Hi, I have gone thought he painful operation of registering just to edit
one page then I found out i have to also get on this mailing list to get
permission... Why can't the wiki page display that I have no permission
to edit? and also why can't edits be sent to a moderation queue for
approval? Anyways this is my request to edit
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Disk_Optimization page as it has a obvious
error.

I recently became aware of a error on the
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Disk_Optimization page. The stride is
calculated for the one spindle not the group. For that example it is 64K
/ 4K = a stride of 16, also the stride width is not the 4 disks in raid
5 as one is the checksum so it's 3 * stride = width 48, so the command
would be mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -E stride=16 -E stripe-width=48 -O dir_index
/dev/XXXX

If you would like to see some creditability as to what I can do see
http://crux.nu my alias is Romster i am a contrib maintainer, I
contribute time to #winehq and #lvm I am also working on my own distro
flavor http://shortcircuit.net.au/~romster/hvl.xhtml

Kind regards,
Danny Rawlins