[CentOS-docs] Improving the website and forums

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Mon Jan 5 23:43:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>> Something that is not helping us with Google is the prefix "www.centos.org - "
>> to every page of the website (including the forums).
>
> Its good to see people taking some initiative on the seo side of things,
> however most of whats in this thread seems to be oriented towards much
> smaller sites, and does not apply to us in a large number of cases.

Karanbir,

Not all suggestions were related to SEO. Some of the suggestions were
related to making more out of what people see from the search result,
which is usability related.

More people finding answers leads to more people linking to those answers.

The example query I showed you proofs that all the clutter in the page
titles make it impossible for potential visitors to understand what search
result is valid from them based on Google's output.

Simply search for "CentOS Wireless" or "CentOS Laptop" and you will see
what I mean regarding the website/forum search results. The most important
information (post subject) is almost useless. (There is little use in
having 'www.centos.org -' in front of everything)

And the fact that none of the wiki-pages are in the top is another
problem. Those pages are definitely more important than most of the search
results. The fact that the wiki title is not used is mostly to blame.

So I would urge to have those thing fixed asap.