[CentOS-docs] Improving the website and forums

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Mon Jan 5 23:59:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Ned Slider wrote:

> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Forum moderators would be able to provide more feedback here : how
>>> relevant and accurate are most topic's for threads ? If they are
>>> bang-on, perhaps it might be a good idea to replace the entire title of
>>> the page with just the title of the post, drop everything else. <opinion
>>> - subject to discussion>.
>>
>> Just my humble opinion (not quite as a forum moderator) ... I agree
>> that it is not necessary to show the forum topics. Seeing "General
>> Support", for example, does not add anything useful.  Most people seem
>> to put a short summary of the problem/question when they post.  So the
>> title of the post should be good as such when getting indexed.
>
> Agreed. The thread title should (hopefully) contain the keywords so
> that's what should be returned by a search.
>
> Personally, I'd prefer to see the title of the thread/post followed by
> the source returned for a search. So when googling "best Linux" the
> searcher may get the following results:
>
> Is it true that CentOS is the best Linux ever? - CentOS forums
> Is it true that CentOS is the best Linux ever? - CentOS Wiki
> Is it true that CentOS is the best Linux ever? - CentOS Mailing List
>
> etc
>
> Now, if we could just do something about those URGENT - PLEASE HELP!!!
> threads for which google returns 474,000 hits (not all of which are on
> centos!)

While I am mostly for removing as much as possible from the page title
except the subject. I think there is a lot of value to still keep the
CentOS-4, CentOS-5 identifier.

Especially because people are not repeating that information since it is
part of the forum-name/group already. I realize that this identifier is
part of the forum name and therefor hard to put in the title though.

I guess since it is part of the content it may not be that important in
search results. But it would have been nice...