[CentOS-docs] wiki page edit request HowTos/Disk_Optimization

Danny Rawlins monster.romster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 11:10:34 UTC 2009

pjwelsh wrote:
> Not to nitpick toooo much, I had the opportunity to play follow along
> with this page and it is still needs help:
> "You divide the chunk size by the block size..." BUT then has "(chunk
> size * block size)". The "*" should be "/".

Oops I will correct that, I should of left to editing it the day after
when I wasn't so tired. :-)
> The example for RAID 5 is fine, but the RAID 10 example sentence may be
> better after the code example as to not confuse a reader for which of
> the 2 options the code is for.

I realized later I messed the RAID10 example up, I intend to edit it
some more and clean up more sentence fragments. I realize it's still not
very clear.
> The mkfs.ext3 command exampled is not supported in CentOS 4 or 5 . The
> "-E stripe-width=48" is not allowed according the "man mkfs.ext3".

It's listed in my man page for e2fsprogs 1.41.3. maybe CentOS has a much
older version?
> If examples of performance improvements could be added like:
>
> #sync ; time dd if=/dev/sdc1 of=/dev/null bs=1M count=20480
>
> (default mkfs.ext)
> 221474836480 bytes (21 GB) copied, 126.272 seconds, 170 MB/s
> real    2m6.275s
>
> (stride tweak only)
> 21474836480 bytes (21 GB) copied, 107.209 seconds, 200 MB/s
> real    1m47.212s

I didn't plan to but I can test a striped LV in LVM2 for performance.
> pjwelsh

Regards,
Danny Rawlins