[CentOS-docs] Contribute to Centos wiki

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Thu Jan 22 22:20:53 UTC 2009

On 01/23/2009 12:08 AM, jedcred wrote:
> [...]
> This is because cryptsetup needs a newline at the end of the keyfile.
> Just using a text editor like vim does not create a valid keyfile that
> cryptsetup can equate with a key for an encrypted volume.
yes, it does. if you ask it to.

> This
> addition is (at least) worth six hours of my time,
I am so much in love with undocumented limitations... I share your pain
here, I know the feelings

>  so hence may be
> worth about that much to anyone who may read this valuable addition.
> This limitation on cryptsetup and crypttab is not mentioned in the
> crypttab nor cryptsetup manuals at all.

any editor can add a newline. and simply adding to the current
instructions "make sure each line ends with a newline character (which
can be created by pressing <enter> at the end of the line" should be enough

my .02 euros