[CentOS-docs] New HOWTO: Setting up multiple IP addresses on the same network interface

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 16:03:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 10:49 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 06/30/2009 10:29 AM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> >> This question is asked again and again on forums all over the net, so
> >> I decided to provide a How-To page on this.
> >> http://wiki.centos.org/VladislavRastrusny/OneNICManyIPs
> > http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/RangeOfIpsOnEthx
> > http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/VirtualIPAddresses
>
> This subject is also quite well covered in the official docs...
>
> Ofcourse this raises the question - what are we doing wrong - and so
> badly - that people cant find content when they want to, even though it
> exists and is quite well done.
>
> - KB
---
Mostly because what you do find on the net is incorrect! So they expect
to find the correct info on the centos.org domain.

Half the problem is related to users not knowing about man pages or the
html documentation. What they expect is the same thing I get from my own
clients, which is they want the exact steps on how to do something.

Of those users they are coming from Windows with no Linux experiance
what so ever. You have to realize they do not have 10 years of Linux
experiance much less 1 day.

John