[CentOS-docs] Contribute request

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Wed May 13 02:06:51 UTC 2009

On 05/12/2009 10:19 PM, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:22, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> In my experience, most admins set this to the preferred
>> shell interpreter (csh, bash, ...).
>>

> /bin/sh is the standard path for the Bourne Shell.
No, it's not. It just happens that by accident in most linux
distributions bash is installed/configured to also act as being /bin/sh
(i.e. with all the restrictions created by the language difference). But
it's far from being a general Unix rule. Actually I think that Russ
already implied that...

> If you change that
> to the C shell or something else that is not compatible with the
> Bourne Shell ("bash" is supposed to be compatible), your box is as
> good as broken...
Try to tell that to someone who has used SunOS (as normal user, not as
root -- friends know what I mean here in the context of SunOs>=9 ) for a
couple of years :)