[CentOS-docs] wiki contribution

Joshua Daniel Franklin jdf.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 19:05:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Rackspace are the typical leecher commercial vendors feeding off the
> CentOS pool, with little or not desire to even consider contributing any
> level of effort or time back into the project. To me, thats a big deal.
>
> I'm voting for not listing them on the wiki. Also, what is it that the
> IUS repo does that isnt available on the other regular
> non-commercially-backed repositories ?

Uh, that's up to you I guess. But I'd like to point out that there is already
a big warning on the 3rd party repos page:
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories#head-0798a0dfd0a3655f5d97e087cb7cbc49e1498469
Also, despite testing some of those have been broken in the past. In my
limited usage I have not yet seen IUS break.

They definitely provide packages from a different philosophy. For
example, they're providing mysql50 and mysql51 that can install
alongside stock mysql instead of replacing it.

Also, to clarify I am not involved in the project (only a user).
They've apparently been providing it to Rackspace customers
for a few years and just opened it up to the public. You're welcome to
invite them to join CentOS Plus or something if you feel strongly
about it.

In any case, can I be approved for the wiki and add my personal
page? I won't edit the AdditionalResources/Repositories unless
there's some sort of consensus.