[CentOS-docs] proposed nvidia wiki page

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 16:38:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Phil Schaffner
<Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov> wrote:
> Ned Slider wrote on 09/14/2009 01:23 PM:

>> There are (to my knowledge) the Nvidia binary installer, dkms driver
>> from rpmforge, kmdl package from ATrpms, and a kmod driver from elrepo.

> I'd say present all the options known to be viable, but perhaps not
> without prejudice.  Personally I'd recommend putting ElRepo at the top
> of the list, but then I haven't personally tested all the options.

And the page would have to be updated depending on the status of each
repo.  For instance, the kmod-nvidia package in ELRepo is currently in
the testing repo.  This will be migrated to the regular place as soon
as it is proven flawless.  When that happens and sometime in a future,
the dkms version *might* be deprecated as Dag is hinting at it:

http://lists.rpmforge.net/pipermail/users/2009-September/002727.html

> Whoever creates the page gets to pontificate, but then nobody here is
> shy about tossing in opinions. :-)
>
> Phil

Absolutely no doubt (wrt "nobody is shy). :-P

Akemi