[CentOS-docs] proposed nvidia wiki page

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Sep 15 19:51:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Phil Schaffner
> <Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov> wrote:
>> Ned Slider wrote on 09/14/2009 01:23 PM:
>
>>> There are (to my knowledge) the Nvidia binary installer, dkms driver
>>> from rpmforge, kmdl package from ATrpms, and a kmod driver from elrepo.
>
>> I'd say present all the options known to be viable, but perhaps not
>> without prejudice.  Personally I'd recommend putting ElRepo at the top
>> of the list, but then I haven't personally tested all the options.
>
> And the page would have to be updated depending on the status of each
> repo.  For instance, the kmod-nvidia package in ELRepo is currently in
> the testing repo.  This will be migrated to the regular place as soon
> as it is proven flawless.  When that happens and sometime in a future,
> the dkms version *might* be deprecated as Dag is hinting at it:
>
> http://lists.rpmforge.net/pipermail/users/2009-September/002727.html

The only reason for me to keep maintaining the dkms packages, would be for
those people not running supported kernels (recent/official). But if we
could describe and automate the building of kmod packages, I would prefer
that route over dkms at any time.

I didn't get any feedback yet, so I have no clue if anyone is
interested/upset whatever action I will take :-)