[CentOS-docs] proposed nvidia wiki page

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Wed Sep 16 11:12:04 UTC 2009

JohnS wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 15:11 -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 08:51:23PM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
>>> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>>
>>> The only reason for me to keep maintaining the dkms packages, would be
>>> for those people not running supported kernels (recent/official). But if
>>> we could describe and automate the building of kmod packages, I would
>>> prefer that route over dkms at any time.
>> For what it's worth, the elrepo version worked well with my unsupported
>> kernel (a VServer 2.6.22 kernel)
> ---
>
> Could those that are trying out the "kmod" driver please report what
> video card model you have. Would be nice to have a good list of the
> Legacy and Newer Cards.
>
> JohnStanley

That tends to change as the drivers move forward over time, older cards
become legacy and are no longer supported by the latest driver.

For a list of cards supported by the latest driver, the user is better
off referring to nvidia's documentation. Looking at the docs for the
current driver leads me to believe that GeForce 6000 series cards are
the oldest supported by this driver (GeForce 5x00 series is supported by
the 173.14.xx driver and older still GeForce2/3/4 by driver 96.43.xx).

We (ELRepo) haven't packaged older nvidia drivers (yet) but we can
certainly look into that if there is a demand.