[CentOS-docs] Contribution to wiki: nagios incompatibility with centos 5.2

Max Hetrick maxhetrick at verizon.net
Wed Sep 16 19:13:07 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> How about splitting it up into 'Install Guide' and a 'Recommended first
> steps'.
>
> Having used Nagios ( or does Nagios use us ? ) I know there are a
> million different ways to set things up. And only a few people really
> need to get down and understand eveyrthing about every option. so how
> about just creating a 'recommended start point' and have a few config
> snippets.
>
> That would then open up for a third page option, which can be focused
> around 'best practises' that might be CentOS specific.

I think Nagios uses us. Agreed. I've been using Nagios for a long time,
and I still don't have all the options down, as I don't need to use them
all. When I need something, I go to the docs and look up more specific
things.

In my experience with working with Nagios, the problem that always came
up was that people didn't know where to even start because there were
too many options, and they were overwhelmed.

Thus the reason I wrote the guide in the first place, to serve as a
stepping stone to get it up and running with some basic checks, then go
digging in the docs.

I feel it's important to have that information on the wiki, even though
it's not CentOS specific. It's asked for a lot and used. Splitting it up
would make sense.

+1 Sounds good to me.

Max