[CentOS-docs] Contribution to wiki: nagios incompatibility with centos 5.2

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 17 20:22:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 02:56:20PM -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Max Hetrick wrote:
>
> > You have one team member stating they believe writers should
> > go upstream for all documentation purposes,
>
> if you are referring to me, your projection into what I wrote
> has mislead you.
>
> -- Russ herrold

I believe (without pretending to read Max's mind--I'm psychotic, not
psychi) he was referring to someone else.

The point though, is fairly straightforward--whether upstream, or mixing
metaphors in mid stream, the important thing, IMHO, is that a policy is
established to the point where potential contributors can easily decide
if they want to submit something or not.

That is, if you and others who feel various third party programs and the
like shouldn't go on the wiki, (I'm overly generalizing here--hopefully,
everyone who has followed the thread will let me do so, since I think we
all know what I mean), that's fine, but it should be clear so that
someone writing about, say nagios (hrrm, wonder why that came to mind)
realizes that *all* the wiki is interested in is getting the software
installed on CentOS, and from there, go elsewhere.

If those who, hopefully respectfully, disagree and feel that such
articles should also consist of the configuration of said program,
that's fine too, and again make it clear to potential contributors.

I realize I am over simplifying a rather complex situation, but that,
hopefully, defines, albeit in broad strokes, what the problem is.
Potential contributors, at this point, really aren't sure what is
wanted.  As Max has pointed out, it's already a bit of a headache to
submit to the wiki, but the lack of clear guidelines, and the risk of
angering one or the other, turns said headache into a migraine.

Mixedly Metaphorically yours,

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: You know, for someone who teaches human behavior, you
might try showing some.
Professor Walsh:It's not my job to coddle my students.
Buffy: You're right. A human being in pain has nothing to do with
your job. (leaves)
Professor Walsh: I like her.
Riley: Really? You don't think she's a little peculiar?