[CentOS-docs] Contribution to wiki: nagios incompatibility with centos 5.2

Ralph Angenendt ralph.angenendt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 10:13:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> Would this do as a rule?
>
> If it is something 'supported' as in one will answer questions on it if
> it was asked on irc or the mailing list, then it can go on the wiki
> (sendmail, apache, postfix, samba, whatever comes with the Centos
> distro). If it won't be 'supported' then minimal documentation such as
> how to install from rpmforge can go on the wiki.

No, I don't think so. Because many things which *come* with CentOS
just work. There are many other things people use on CentOS - and
which come from repositories like rpmforge, atrpms, epel or elrepo
which are more or less advertised on the CentOS wiki - where someone
had trouble setting it up and wrote some document about it.

I don't think that we need documentation on how to install something
from one of those repos via yum. In my opinion this documentation
should at least contain a useful basic configuration, which can get
people going on CentOS. If there is a need for cookbook recipes which
also can be found elsewhere I don't know, but don't think so. But at
least links to those recipes should be there.

> But before we go on, may I ask what is the purpose of the Centos Wiki?

That is a good question. IM not so HO it should contain documentation
which gets people going with things on CentOS. Which is a very broad
view.

Because people will *always* look for documentation on CentOS venues
first before even thinking about going to the sendmail.org webpage,
for example.

That is one of the reasons why people like Distributions like Ubuntu,
Arch and Gentoo - their documentation is rather extensive.

Ralph