[CentOS-docs] Contribution to wiki: nagios incompatibility with centos 5.2

PJ Welsh pjwelsh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 13:54:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Broad views are good IMHO as I think it's easier to address on a case by
> case basis largely as this list does at present by asking to see and
> discussing proposed documentation.

The list is not deciding these matters. There is no vote. There is
only situational reluctance to allow content by certain people. I
think maybe that (potential) page hits could be a better metric than
the seemingly random way we have now.  Is there a greater possibility
to have a new/continuing CentOS user be shown content that may "spoon
feed" some and give comfort to others on a known good way to
accomplish a task using CentOS? Like most have stated, Nagios, for
example, is not trivial and overwhelming for most *and* the most
recent Nagios Community CentOS 5.2 install is a 404 link
(http://community.nagios.org/?s=install). I guess I should move on to
Ubuntu or SLES  If I google "nagios install", I find a seemingly
helpful "Nagios 3 on CentOS: Quick Install Script". That looks
promising! *But* it's all a bunch of "make" lines with no status
checks... not exactly "generally recommended procedures" is you troll
our CentOS mailing lists! So, what are they going to learn? Ubuntu has
easy docs for install? SLES10 has rpms? Or a helpful install for a
rock solid OS with long term support and a good community to back it
up with bonuses like solid documentation and additional repos like
epel and rpmforge and elrepo etc

I think it is sad that this part of the CentOS "community" can not
seem to allow good people to focus on the areas they can "contribute".
Or does not allow  a member not contribute information that will help
correctly and repeatedly and easily (aka spoon feed?) produce positive
results with CentOS as the foundation OS. Dev peeps can be Dev peeps;
forum helpers can be forum helpers (and spoon feeders), documentation
peeps can do that.

pjwelsh