[CentOS-docs] page for translators

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Sat Feb 13 14:33:33 UTC 2010

On 13 February 2010 01:17, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> is there a page I could point potential translators at ? There have been
> a few people who have shown interest in helping with some languages that
> we do not have translations for at the moment, including russian,
> gujrati, greek and turkish.
>
> Is there a page on the wiki that we could point these people at ? maybe
> a 'getting started with translations', something that might include
> 'things that we usually translate' and 'polices and ideas around the
> wiki.c.o in different languages'. Having never looked into the
> translations stuff, I am a bit of a loss here an could use some help.

With reference to advice for potential translators, I hope it will be
mentioned that once a translation of a page / a section / the entire
wiki has been made then those translated pages will have to be
maintained.

At present, it seems to me, that this is only being done by Timothy
Lee for the traditional and simplified Chinese translations. An
example of where the maintenance has woefully failed is the Spanish
translation. Indeed, I am rather concerned that there exists a link on
the front page for "This wiki in Spanish". Your thoughts on this
please, Ralph.

I know that the "rot" of wiki pages is a particular concern to Russ
and I have to agree with him. Without adequate commitment by the
language translators in keeping their pages in sync with the English
version, such translated pages are, essentially, worthless and the
"rot" is terminal. Russ, do you have anything to add please?

Regards,
Alan.