[CentOS-docs] aging of translations

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Feb 15 23:09:46 UTC 2010

Following up from the last thread : This is what the present page counts
of translations are :

fr 19
en 1089
zh 407
de 7
zg 1
es 116

so, just taking a sample of 'es', here is what we get:

[kbsingh at zafarnama bhashet]$ ./age_test | grep '^es(2' | head -4
es/About is 119 days older than About
es/AdditionalResources looks about as old as AdditionalResources
es/AdditionalResources/HardwareList is 420 days older than
AdditionalResources/HardwareList
es/AdditionalResources/Mirrors looks about as old as
AdditionalResources/Mirrors

I've attached the complete output from the age_test for 'es' along with
this email, to make it slightly easier for people to import into
something more productive than email buffers.

Now the thing is, if this sort of a status report helps I'd like to
perhaps plumb this into a wiki hosted page itself, and have it refresh
every day.

There are a few assumptions made in the code:
- the name of the page is the same in all languages, including path
- all languages start with a 2 character language code (1)
- all pages are 'original' in english
- 'age' is taken as timestamp of last edit

Other things

- we need to find someway of marking pages we dont care about ( eg.
people's pages ) ( free win -> being able to generate list of pages that
dont exist in a specific language but do in English )
- Can we 'inject' something into the original page that says 'this page
is YY days older than the original page, so look there as well'

Comments, thoughts, views ?

- KB

1: the zh/tw/ namespace breaks this - and so its not a separate count
from zh/ for now. I will do something about that for the next run.