[CentOS-docs] Article on building i586 CentOS-5 kernel

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Jan 11 12:18:05 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am lagging a bit on the -docs maillist backlog, will try and catchup
over the next few days.

On 01/11/2010 06:17 AM, Timothy Lee wrote:
>      * http://wiki.centos.org/TimothyLee/centos5_i586_patch
>
> These instructions have been successfully tested against the
> 2.6.18-164.10.1.el5 kernel.  All comments are welcomed.

sounds good :)

> I have two questions for the development team:
>
>      * Is this article suitable for publication on the wiki?

I'd say no, not here in the user facing wiki

>      * Can the changes mentioned in that article be incorporated into the
>        stock SRPM?  (As far as I know, non-i586 builds should not be
>        affected)

No, but there is a big open door in the c5plus kernel window. That would
be the best place for this.

However, expanding a bit ( and this conversation might be better for
-devel rather than -docs ).

Is the modified kernel the the only bit of change you need for i586
support ? I'd think a glibc.i586 might be worth doing as well. And there
were a few other packages that were required to be patched on c4 to make
it work for i586. How many of those are needed here as well ?  And there
are a lot of patches in the kernel tree that might not impact the i586
code at all. eg. whats the state of xen in this i586 kernel ?

If there is reasonable interest in running a i586 tree, then imho, a SIG
dedicated to this would be the best route to go. It would also make it
possible to have a i586 specific tree that can be maintained in parallel
to the main core distro.

--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK        | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh