[CentOS-docs] Article on building i586 CentOS-5 kernel

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Jan 12 00:17:44 UTC 2010

Timothy Lee wrote:
>  On 01/11/2010 03:09 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> Timothy Lee wrote:
>>> Got some VIA C3 processors that absolutely refuse to run i686 kernels.
>> Yeah, who knows what has been turned on on those i686 kernels.
>>> They were running on Fedora 7, but that's getting too abandoned for any
>>> good.
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html
>>
>> Try C3 optimization instead then.
> So instead of compiling for i586 targets, is it then better to patch the
> CentOS-5 kernel so that it uses "-mtune=c3" during compilation?  (There
> appears to be only a CONFIG_MVIAC3_2 param in the .config file)

I would say so since there is specific matching parameters for the C3.
You will want to use -march=c3 too I suspect to prevent cmov
instructions being included which is what does not work on the C3 in the
i686 binaries. You also have to do this for anything that comes as i686
binaries that you use, not just the kernel.

Or you could go the Pentium route and forget about getting an optimized
binary in favour of just a working binary.