[CentOS-docs] General FAQ addition

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Mar 4 14:27:27 UTC 2010

On 03/04/2010 01:54 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>>> Added an entry to http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General :
> Thanks for the comments Russ, but as Karanbir says, sysreport/sos
> provides a LOT of information.  We were shooting at much smaller targets
> with the scripts.  I should have mentioned - The effort was an outgrowth
> of a long thread on the "User Comments" forum and not just my idea.

I didnt say that sos was not a good idea - it is the *best* idea here,
that is designed to do just sort of thing being attempted, but it does
go into a lot of detail since its built to be run for a client talking
to a business support guy at the other end, and not *everyone* over the
internet. The other thing is that it can run for a long long time, hours
in some cases. So there are negatives and the issue of toobig a tool for
a small task; is a very valid issue. The other issue would be to get a
plugin installed into sosreport, would need a bit more of an effort than
just downloading and running a script.

So the issue here is :
- define what we want out of it ( I am not sure this has been defined
anywhere )

- see if its easier to get that info out from sos or do a bash script

> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=25030&forum=18

If it is a case of going down the bash script route, this is a good
place to start. However, the script has no author or license / copyright
info - you should fix that.

Another thing that would be quite nice to see is if this script could
auto-feed a pastebin and return a pastebin ID; as long as it does not
increase the complexity of the script too much.

- KB