[CentOS-docs] Kernel type in RPMs

Eduardo Grosclaude eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 01:41:47 UTC 2010

Hello,

The Custom Kernel Howto says:

With the buildroot correctly set up, it's time to modify the kernel
configuration. Change directory to
~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.18/linux-2.6.18.`uname -m`/ and copy
either the appropriate type of configuration file (base, xen; if
32-bit architecture, PAE (for CentOS-5) or base, smp, xenU; if 32-bit
architecture, hugemen; if 64-bit architecture, largesmp (for
CentOS-4)) from the ./configs/ directory or that of the currently
running kernel from /boot/config-`uname -r` to the .config file in
this directory.

I find this phrasing extremely difficult to understand. My
understanding of this is:

(...) and copy into this directory, under the name .config, one of two files:
* Either the appropriate type of configuration file, taken from ./configs/:
          o For CentOS-5: base, xen, or PAE (if architecture is 32-bit)
          o For CentOS-4: base, smp, xenU, hugemem if architecture is
32-bit, largesmp if 64-bit.
* Or,  the currently running kernel's configuration file, taken from
/boot/config-`uname -r`

I have deployed this understanding unto my Spanish version:
(...) y copie en este directorio, con el nombre .config, uno de dos archivos:
* O bien el tipo apropiado de archivo de configuración del directorio
./configs/:
          o Para CentOS-5: base, xen, o PAE (si la arquitectura es de 32 bits).
          o Para CentOS-4: base, smp, xenU, hugemem si la arquitectura
es de 32 bits, largesmp si es de 64 bits.
* O bien el archivo de configuración del núcleo actualmente en
ejecución, tomado de /boot/config/`uname -r`.

Is my version technically OK? (English and/or Spanish). If so, I
suggest clarifying the said paragraph.

TIA

--
Eduardo Grosclaude