[CentOS-docs] FAQ/General/RebuildReleaseProcess

Fri May 21 18:24:20 UTC 2010

Karanbir Singh wrote on 05/21/2010 12:54 PM:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/21/2010 05:30 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> OK, thanks - but begs the question - What is the current process?
>
> I published this a while back :
> http://www.karan.org/stuff/c5-release-plan.jpeg ; which if you look at -
> reflects the same goals and ideas as whats on the wiki page, but uses a
> slightly different process. That image, again, no longer reflects the
> release process anymore - we made loads of changes to how we do things
> for 5.5, some of which paid off while others didn't. So I can imagine
> things are going to change again for 5.6 etc.

I do remember seeing that graphic before, and I understand that the
build process is a moving target.  It would still be of value for
educational purposes, for "community relations", for people who want to
create custom variants on the distro, and as a "warm fuzzy" to potential
CentOS corporate/institutional users for "insurance" purposes, to have
the current process openly available.

> And its important we reflect that on the wiki page. Whats on the page is
> accurate in terms of what we are doing, its just not how we do we do it,
> and its not going into the process at all.
>
> For now, I'd recommend changing the title of the page to something along
> the lines of 'The CentOS Build plan'. Which would, imho, better reflect
> the content under there.

I'll have another look at the page in view of these comments.

Thanks,
Phil