[CentOS-docs] http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix

Fri Jul 20 16:07:53 EDT 2012

Ned Slider wrote on 07/20/2012 03:12 PM:
> One issue I see here is that the original howto was written for CentOS-5
> with dovecot 1.x.
>
> The OP here is clearly using CentOS-6, which uses dovecot 2.x and no
> surprises for guessing that there are a few incompatibilities between
> the config files for dovecot 1 and 2.
>
> Personally, I'd suggest forking the original article and maintaining
> separate versions for CentOS-5 and CentOS-6, or have separate sections
> within the article for CentOS-5 and CentOS-6 where they differ.
>
> To the best of my knowledge this list never did agree a mechanism for
> handling documentation differences between product versions. The danger
> is that if we keep editing changes for CentOS-6 into docs for CentOS-5
> we will end up with broken useless docs.
>
> How do others feel this type of situation should best be handled?

I'd say it should be decided on a case-by-case basis, but perhaps some
general guidelines would be helpful.  If differences can be easily
handled by a note here and there then a separate page is probably not
justified.  If differences are substantial between major releases, then
a fork of a new page for the later release may be the best approach.

Phil