[CentOS-mirror-announce] Important notification for the (upcoming) 7 release.

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Tue Jun 17 11:31:42 UTC 2014

Hi Mirrors Admin,

Karanbir and myself had a conversation about CentOS 7 and external
mirrors and here are some points we'd like to report:

First, we'd like to say thank you for the CentOS Mirror you actually
provide for all CentOS users all around the world.

Second point I wanted to mention is the fact that CentOS 7 is slowly
approaching.
What does that mean for you ? Don't be surprized if in the following
days/week(s), your CentOS mirror will start consuming more disk space
and bandwidth.
We have currently no fixed disk space usage stats for 7, but we expect
it to be ~40Gb (os/updates/iso images) and that will grow with new
updates being released when they'll appear.
Keep in mind that that will be for i386/x86_64 and we just plan on
releasing x86_64 now, i386 being a community effort, and considered
secondary arch (so building in parallel but we'll release x86_64 even if
there is no i386 build "ready")

To better serve you, we'll start implementing the following changes in
the next 24 hours :
- we'll restrict the CentOS (and - legacy but pointing to the same path
- CentOS-incdvd) rsyncd modules access to IP currently being marked as
"official" CentOS public mirrors
- That means that we'll currently stop adding new mirrors until Seven is out
- That also means that if you're using a different outgoing IP address
than the reverse ip lookup for your mirror(s), you'll be blocked (if
that's the case, contact us on the centos-mirror list and we'll fix that )

Can we also remind you
(http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreatePublicMirrors) that :
* if your mirror is located in the .us, you're encouraged to use the
us-msync.centos.org::CentOS host/rsync module
* if your mirror is located somewhere in Europe, you're encourage to use
the  eu-msync.centos.org::CentOS host/rsync module
* Mirror out of the .us/.eu scope can use the generic
msync.centos.org::CentOS host/rsync module (multiple nodes using GeoIP
to redirect to the nearby country/host)

We count on you for a successful CentOS 7 release, and would like to
thank you once again.

If you have questions, feel free to start a new thread on the
centos-mirror list,

Kind Regards,

--

Fabian Arrotin