[CentOS-mirror] Status of Mirrors

Mark Dokter ftpadmin at is.co.za
Sat Oct 15 17:34:39 UTC 2005

Hi

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 12:50:12PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Mark Dokter wrote:
> >Hiya Karanbir
> >
> >I dont remember ever seeing us listed..
> >
> >Thx
> >
> >---
> >
> >Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:02:15 +0200
> >From: Internet Solutions mirror admin <ftpadmin at is.co.za>
> >Subject: New South African Mirror
> >To: centos-mirror at centos.org
> >
> >ftp://ftp.is.co.za/mirror/centos/
> >or
> >ftp://ftp.is.co.za/linux/distributions/centos/
> >
> >City: Johannesburg, South Africa
> >
> >Bandwidth: Multiple 45Mb lines (throttled access)
> >
> >Carrying: Everything eu-msync.centos.org has (51G)
> >
> >Syncing: once a day
> >
> >Sponsoring organization: Internet Solutions
> >                         http://www.is.co.za
> >

> Hi Mark,
>
> I've added your details into the system - but the mirror seems adrift by
>  4 days, can you please make sure that you catch up right away ?

Will increase the syncing frequency to counter possibly timeouts.

> Also, when you say throttled - what does that indicate in terms of speed
> availability ? Just so that I can add the mirror in the right segment.

Theres multiple groupings.. basically we give local users (South African
and areas attached via fat pipes) higher speeds (200KiloBytes and 10
concurrent connections.)

Other ISP's and International fall into their own respective speed
categorys.

If Im correct, International connections are capped at 8 KiloBytes and 4
concurrent connections.. ftp.is.co.za is predominantly there to keep ftp
traffic local by mirroring international content.

South Africa is *extremely* bandwidth starved (we have just over a
gigabit of international connectivity shared amongst the whole country)

The chap in .de with the GigE.. you have a whole countrys worth of
bandwidth at your disposal :o)

Joys of a monopoly telco!