[CentOS-mirror] Current disk space estimates

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Jan 27 02:12:18 UTC 2006

hi Japheth,

Redwire Broadband (Japheth Cleaver) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We are considering setting up a public mirror of the CentOS distribution
> and were wondering what the current disk space requirement is, along
> with a rough idea of how quickly it grows.

Graham already answered this question for you - the mirror size will
stay about the same - with the addition of a few packages each month,
for updates and as some new packages are moved into centosplus /extras.

One thing to keep in mind is that during the Update Cycle switchover, (
eg. when CentOS4.3 is released ) there are 2 tree's - each completely
populated -  for 10 - 14 days. So you need to cater for hdd space
requirements during this time. An additional 10 - 12 GB free should be
enough.

> In addition, is there any provision being considered for partial
> mirrors, if older releases, or the more esoteric platforms, can't be fit?

There are a few people who only mirror CentOS4 and only do certain
Architectures. However, its nice to have complete mirrors. If you do
decide to mirror and pickup a single release, at-least try and mirror
all Arch's for that Release.

hth

- K