[CentOS-mirror] Only .torrents to mirrors?

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Tue May 2 16:00:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2 May 2006, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Okay, I'm confused.
>
> The CentOS mirror on mirrors.kernel.org is missing at least all the DVD
> isos, and all there is there is a .torrent file.
>
> We have tons of disk space and bandwidth, and denying users the ability
> to use the mirror network for these probably hurts more than it helps
> (we are consistently faster than Bittorrent during Fedora Core releases,
> for example, and that is an extremely popular fileset during peak traffic.)
>
> Can these be re-enabled, at least for the mirror sites who wants to
> carry them?

Thanks for the offer - yes it would be good to serve the dvd isos out to
mirrors and we have been considering how to do it.

They have never been mirrored previously.

One problem is that Apache historically doesnt cope with files larger
than 2GB , and just refuses to display a directory listing at all when
such files are present.

We also have to consider a possible doubling of the traffic generated for
our mirror servers during a new release - syncing out to mirrors.

But if those issues can be resolved then we can produce an rsync
module for the dvd isos.

We will discuss internally ...

Regards
Lance

-- uklinux.net - The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.