[CentOS-mirror] HEADER.html

mirror-maintainer at mirror.averse.net mirror-maintainer at mirror.averse.net
Fri Nov 17 16:47:34 UTC 2006

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, <rford at candis.com.cn> wrote:

> Yeah - (hostrino) and the mirror in fujian are both damn pathetic.
> Speed into Beijing is at best 30-40k/sec.
>
> Between my servers in HK and Beijing on the direct CNC-HK gateway I
> get 5-600 k/sec.
>
> The hostrino one is also next to useless during business hours from
> the mainland.  And the be10 one on fujian is always useless.
>
> RF.
>

> On 17/11/2006, at 7:44 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>> Richard Ford wrote:
>>> I can't even check that out..... damn China international
>>> gateway!  I  could be doing this sync for weeks!
>>> If only I had more space on my HK servers, I could reroute my
>>> sync  via there and be done in 6 hours.  :-\
>>> Oh well.  Pain now for sheer convenience for myself and others
>>> here  later.....
>>
>> I thought we had a mirror in HK who offered a rsync target...

I have 2 suggestions:

1) since your HK server has better connectivity, by all means tunnel
through it for your initial sync.  Some possible options for this are:
* through an ssh tunnel. eg, ssh -L 8873:remote_mirror:873 your_hk_server,
followed by rsync [switches] --port=8873 localhost::<rsynctarget>
* through a tcp redirector. eg, iptables prerouting dnat or a
usermode app like redir
* through a vpn, etc.

2) I will soon have to restrict my mirror to limited geographical regions,
but for now you may still have some luck with syncing from my mirror. (I
know I've achieved > 1MB/s to well connected hosts in China, but your
mileage may vary).  You may choose from mirror.averse.net::centos
(excluding dvds) or mirror.averse.net::centos-incdvd (including dvds,
obviously)