[CentOS-mirror] FTP mirrors & SIZE command

archive-admin at mirrorservice.org archive-admin at mirrorservice.org
Tue Oct 17 11:09:36 UTC 2006

Ok is there any way for mirrors to check there status ie why its failing
so they can do something about it...

The "SIZE" command is not standardised. Check RFC 959 for a list
of standard FTP commands.

Most FTP servers provide the size of the upcoming transfer in the
150-response to RETR, and libcurl attempts to figure out the size from
that if the SIZE command didn't work.  You could then abort.

Phill.

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Francois Petillon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The mirror monitoring script has been recently updated to check FTP
> mirrors and to add them in isoredirect.centos.org when they are up to
> date. It should be usable too for HTTP mirrors who redirects to FTP mirrors.
> Unfortunately, a few FTP mirrors refuse the "SIZE" FTP command and, as
> the script can not check the ISOs file, we are unable to list them (well
> unless someone has a nice workaround to get the file size, and no,
> downloading it is not what I am calling "nice").
>
> Is there any reason why somes servers refuse this command ? (it may be
> for good/bad reason, it is not my point, I am just wondering)
>
> François

Archive Admin's at The UK Mirror Service
http://www.mirrorservice.org/