RE: [CentOS-mirror] Rsync on Windows & Mirroring Best Practices

Mote, Ty R. Ty.Mote at krumisd.net
Fri Sep 15 15:06:28 UTC 2006

Thank you to everyone who responded back in the mailing list and to
those who offered advice offline. I appreciate all of you.

I am using cygwin to run rsync and it works beautiully. As many have
pointed out, since I am using IIS instead of apache the symlinks and
hard links won't work. I expected this and am not too concerned. If this
causes problems for users who may access me as a mirror I may port the
web hosting portion on to a Linux box. The only reason I don't just run
a CentOS server for all of this is that I cannot get funding to buy
hardware specifically for this purpose. I am hosting the files on a
massive DFS root which is rooted on a M$ Server 2003 box. There is no
changing that, and I don't really need to anyway.

My server is (and has been) up and running for a couple of days now with
no problems. I will be limiting the scope of what I am mirroring to all
i386 version 3.0 and up. I have "Scheduled Tasks" working perfectly. Now
I just need time to get all the goods over here.

Once I am confident that the mirror is working (and noone objects too
harshly to publishing me with symlinks and hardlinks not working) I will
post my server to the newsgroup.

--
Ty R. Mote