[CentOS-mirror] Status of dvd iso for CentOS mirrors.

Kevin M Stange kevin at steadfast.net
Sun Apr 15 20:08:18 UTC 2007

Lance Davis wrote:

> With the release of 5 we have seen a tremendous increase in the use of
> the dvd.iso , so that from bitorrent it is now downloaded 5 times more
> than the cd isos.

For a while there, we were the only mirror showing DVDs on the CentOS
site.  We had to throttle our bandwidth because we were pushing as much
as 350 Mbps, mostly in DVD ISOs.  Things have calmed down a bit from
that high now.

> The main issue with having the dvd isos available from mirrors is that
> Apache < 2.2 running on 32 bit architecture wont display files larger
> than 2.0 GB , however CentOS 5 has Apache 2.2 with large file support so
> that problem will now start to go away - alternative is also to use
> lighttpd.

Rebuilding the apr, apr-util, and httpd SRPMs from CentOS 5 or Fedora
Devel will work for CentOS 4.  Only catch, httpd includes an init script
which requires a new version of initscripts.  To work around it, you can
install the src RPM, then grab your old /etc/init.d/httpd and replace
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCE/httpd.init.  Then you can set the dependency to
require 7.93 of initscripts instead in the specfile and build.  That's
what we're doing currently.

Kevin

--
Kevin Stange