[CentOS-mirror] Status of dvd iso for CentOS mirrors.

David Stanford dthomas53 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 01:57:16 UTC 2007

On 4/15/07, Lance Davis <lance at uklinux.net> wrote:

> With the release of 5 we have seen a tremendous increase in the use of the
> dvd.iso , so that from bitorrent it is now downloaded 5 times more than
> the cd isos.
>
> That may be due in part to it being hard to find and more readily
> available by Bt, but I think is also down to increased prevalance of
> dvd-rom drives.
>
> The main issue with having the dvd isos available from mirrors is that
> Apache < 2.2 running on 32 bit architecture wont display files larger
> than 2.0 GB , however CentOS 5 has Apache 2.2 with large file support so
> that problem will now start to go away - alternative is also to use
> lighttpd.
>
> (CentOS now has its first server up running C5 and able to display
> large dvd images under http :)
>
> I have updated our isoredirect system to detect and verify dvd isos on
> mirrors , and sources with current dvd isos are now listed separately on
> the isoredirect page - what this is showing is that very few of our
> mirrors have the dvd isos and we need to get more out there ...
>
> To test :-
>
> http://isoredirect.centos.org/mirrorscripts/chooseisolist.pl?release=5.0&arch=i386
>
> It will give you local info based on your ip
> you can also add &cc=xx to test other country codes
>
> I know a lot of mirrors are wanting to download the dvd isos and we have
> just configured two new servers with msync-incdvd.
>
> However, we would still like mirrors to do their initial sync of the dvd
> isos to one of our tier 1 mirrors that have them , and then we will add
> their ip addres to our acl for syncing.
>
> We also have no problem if mirrors want to sync to a local tier 1 mirror,
> our system will still detect that they are up to date.
>
> It is likely that in the near future we will restrict access to msync
> rsync to current registered mirrors, and new mirrors will either have to
> register first or do an initial sync from a registered mirror *hmm - we
> have said this before - but now we have 160 mirrors we really will have to
> do something ...)
>
> There has been some confusion about the CentOS and CentOS-incdvd rsync
> targets , and the fact that some mirrors have dvd isos included in the
> CentOS target, so what we would like to do is to have a list of tier 1
> mirrors that :-
>
> 1. provide rsync access to the complete CentOS release tree
> 2. would be prepared to act as a seed for new mirrors
> 3. would be prepared to set up separate CentOS and CentOS-incdvd targets
> for other mirrors to sync against, either initial or recurring syncs (the
> trees would be hardlinked, so extra space required is minimal).

I've finished sync'ing the DVD ISOs from the mirror.kernel.org tier 1
mirror. Should I continue syncing from this mirror or are you able to
provide access to the CentOS server (and if so, what is the target)?

This is for mirror.daemonbox.net - IP 66.246.140.174

-David
--
[root at fbsd ~]# fortune
Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.