[CentOS-mirror] RFC email for late/lagging CentOS public mirrors

Pekka Savola psavola at nic.funet.fi
Wed Dec 12 20:49:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Tru Huynh wrote:
> I would like your feedback on the proper way to warn the public mirrors
> monitored at http://mirror-status.centos.org/ that something is
> going wrong.
>
> I was thinking of:
>
> 1st email inquiry : "what's up?"
> - timestamp > 3 days late or server not responding for > 3 days
>
> 2nd email inquiry : "what's wrong?"
> - timestamp > 7 days late or server not responding for > 7 days
>
> If no news after the 2nd inquiry, remove the server from the
> list after another grace delay of 7 days.
>
> Of course that the general idea, there can be lots of good reason to have a
> late/lagging mirror. We can just also remove the server from the mirrorlist
> (most visible annoyance from a lamda user perspective, imho).

A good idea -- but.. where do you send the email to?  I'm not aware that
the email addresses of responsible folks taking care of the mirrors have
been collected at any point.

Did you mean "broadcast the warning on centos-mirror mailing-list"?  If
yes, the proposed mechanism seems too noisy.

Pekka Savola