[CentOS-mirror] File permission problems on new mirror

Stevens, Matthew masteven at NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Nov 30 18:06:34 UTC 2007

I am working on setting up a local internal mirror to updates multiples
servers. I am able to build the mirror by using rsync from a Tier2
server without any problems. Where I encounter a problem, is that I do
not have permissions to access the files under the centos directory via
http (apache) or ftp (vsftpd). When attempting to browse the new mirror
setup in a web browser, I get the error message saying access is denied.
I believe only the root user is getting access to the files

Here are the permissions that are listed at the root of the mirror:
drwxr-xr-x  18  501    501   4096 Nov 20 06:41 centos

I would like to know if it is normal that the user and group are both
501?

I run the rsync cron as root user, is this the proper what to sync with
other mirrors?

Thank you for your help and advice,

Matthew