[CentOS-mirror] RayStedman.org Bandwidth

Alex Howells alex at bytemark.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 09:27:53 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> greg at raystedman.org wrote:
>> Thank you very much for the feedback here guys!  I believe we will drop the
>> DVDs for now and see where that leaves us.  Tru: Please change us to DVD=No.
>
> Why dont you look at your logs and see where the traffic is ? Perhaps an
> ISP has started using your mirror as a 'local asset' ? a polite email to
> them might help.

httpd access logs are inaccurate, unless you are using mod_logio or
similar; they'll show a complete download amount for partial downloads,
which causes AWstats and Webalizer to become *massively* inaccurate.

We had a situation with mirror.bytemark.co.uk a couple of months ago
where someone was grabbing the first 1.5MB of a DVD ISO to test
connectivity over their wireless mesh networks, over the course of 2-3
months it looked to Webalizer like they'd transferred >10TB.

Reality:  bandwidth graphs of the switchport do not correlate,
contacting them was fruitful, default access_log has serious flaws.