[CentOS-mirror] RFC on public centos mirrors

Tru Huynh tru at centos.org
Mon Jun 9 14:01:46 UTC 2008

Hi,

There is now close to 200 public CentOS mirrors listed at
http://mirror-status.centos.org/.  Only a handfull of them is late/down at any
given time so I would like to thank you all for your support and efforts on
behalf of the CentOS team and the silent users.

Here is the current situation and some proposition to further improve it.
- centos.org servers are donated to the project. We don't control the disk size
  not the bandwith available on these servers.
- regular centos mirroring is fine
- recent requests for extending the mirror with the dvd isos have been delayed
  due to limitations on centos.org side(bandwith/resources).
- limited number of rsync servers allowed to reach the centos + dvd iso
 (ACL on the centos.org servers)
- msync.centos.org are round-robin (eu/us) and need time to sync together
  from a "master" server.
- no ACL on the regular centos tree (~110 GB for all versions/all arches)
<6G    2.1
31G    3.9
47G    4.6
28G    5.1
- the separation between Tier1/2/3 has not been written down (except
  for bandwith availability).

Requirements for CentOS public mirror:
- request for no bandwith limitation (if you need to throttle, we can just
  remove your mirror from the mirrorlist generation and leave it on the main
  list).
- round-robin for CentOS clients (http/ftp) via geo-ip from
  http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=

RFC for possible future direction:
rational: several public servers have more bandwith than the centos.org
machines, by serving more files from the big pipes, we reduce the bottleneck
for everyone.
- dvd mirror (Tier 1) are the only one allowed to reach the master dvd
  repository
- other public dvd mirror are re-directed to the dvd Tier 1
- leave it like that (no additional public dvd serveri: not satisfying...)

jidgo: feedback from debian mirror maintainer
- rational: reduce the bandwith/time needed for the initial sync for each point
  release
* drawback: the burden to generate the so goes to the public mirror willing to
  use jidgo
* drawback: another target needed (hardlinked) for mirror who don't want/can't
  use jidgo
* jidgo receipe needed for each iso (how easy/hard is it to work with?)

- doing it the otherway round? iso -> os/$arch tree

Best regards,

Tru
PS: 5.2 is in QA now