[CentOS-mirror] Wrong timestamp by pulling CentOS-incdvd

Takashi Ichihara ichihara at ribf.riken.jp
Tue Apr 21 15:21:11 UTC 2009

Hi all

( I resubmit a mail to the Centos-morror List for your information)

Tru Huynh wrote,
> > Hi,
> >
> > http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/centos/ is being listed as 12 days late.
> >
> > Any issue on your mirror or on the centos mirror your are
> > pulling from?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Tru

Hi

Yes, we ftp.riken.jp are pulling from the CentOS master site by
rsync -avzH --delete msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd /ftp/Linux/centos

every 4 hours when the previous rsync to msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd
is not running. In addition, we kill the previous rsync once a day if there
is a previous rsync to msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd running and start
a new rsync to msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd .

A part of the last rsync log is as follows.

> > Mon Apr 20 23:03:01 UTC 2009
> > no Force argument is specified
> > now rsyncing to msync.centos.org is starting
> >
> > msync.CentOS.org rsync service (centosb3)
> > ---------------------------------------
> >
> > This service is intended for the sole use of the CentOS worldwide
> mirror network
> > to synchronize mirrors.
> >
> >receiving incremental file list
> >deleting .rsync.log
> >./
> >TIME
> > timestamp.txt
> > 4.7/apt/i386/base/

  It seems that the time stamps obtained by pulling the
msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd
seems to be sometimes wrong at some conditions.

   At the Centos archive directory at ftp.riken.jp the time
stamps are now as follows.

[ftp centos]$ pwd
/ftp/Linux/centos
[ftp centos]$ date -u
Tue Apr 21 13:21:06 UTC 2009
[ftp centos]$ cat TIME
1239274801
[ftp centos]$ cat timestamp.txt
Thu Apr 9 11:00:01 UTC 2009
[ftp centos]$
-----------------
Manual rsync to msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd/ right now resulted

[ftp centos]$ pwd
/ftp/Linux/centos
rsync msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd/TIME .
rsync msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd/timestamp.txt .
[ftp centos]$ cat TIME
1239274801
[ftp centos]$ cat timestamp.txt
Thu Apr 9 11:00:01 UTC 2009
[ftp centos]$ date -u
Tue Apr 21 13:24:29 UTC 2009

Manual rsync to msync.centos.org::CentOS/ right now resulted

rsync msync.centos.org::CentOS/timestamp.txt .
rsync msync.centos.org::CentOS/TIME .
[ftp centos]$ cat TIME
1240320001
[ftp centos]$ cat timestamp.txt
Tue Apr 21 13:20:01 UTC 2009
[ftp centos]$

I remember that the mirror ages of ftp.riken.jp was 3 hours
yesterday or the day before yesterday.

But now there are several sites which mirror ages are
12.1-12.2 days now including ftp.riken.jp.

  So I think the time stamps obtained by
msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd
is sometimes wrong (12.x  days ago) while
timestamps obtained by
msync.centos.org::CentOS
is always correct.

For the temporary solution to this problem, I added the
rsync msync.centos.org::CentOS/timestamp.txt /ftp/Linux/centos/
rsync msync.centos.org::CentOS/TIME /ftp/Linux/centos/
after the
rsync -avzH --delete msync.centos.org::CentOS-incdvd /ftp/Linux/centos
command in the daily mirror script.

Regards,
Takashi Ichihara