[CentOS-mirror] vault.centos.org rsync module?

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Thu Apr 30 11:47:03 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 29 April 2009, J.H. wrote:
> Speaking to these issues first (since I'm finally looping back around on
> things)
>
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > J.H. wrote:
> >> I was just looking to try and get access to rsync on vault.centos.org
> >> and get a full, and semi regular (maybe once a week) sync going from it.
> >>   Anyone know how to access that (not sure of the module name), and I
> >> would hate to abuse the thing by running wget against the website :-/
> >
> > There isnt any rsync module for vault... perhaps we should create one.
> > Would you be ok to host a vhost config for it at your end ? that way we
> > can keep it away from the main tree, and include your mirror into the
> > rrdns cycle at this end.
>
> I've got a full copy of vault now, and have the whole thing up and
> online now.  Serving a vhost specifically is probably not high on my
> priority list (I already chew up a lot of IPs as it is and don't tend to
> do name based because of rsync/ftp issues).  I would have no objection
> to having the site in RRDNS or a redirect or something if that was the
> case.
>
> > Would you also be interested in older DVD's isos ? ( that might be a bit
> > more tricky to get up ).
>
> Possibly, though I'll admit things like DVD ISOs would be first on my
> chopping block to kill if I ever run out of space and can't get more
> storage.  For the time being I'm flush with space for this project and I
> don't think adding the DVD ISOs are going to break my bank (I can put
> them in a separate location if that helps any)
>
> > Finally, it would be nice if vault wasent too visible. After all, the
> > only packages in vault are things that are now deprecated due to
> > bugfix/security/enhancement updates
>
> While I applaud the "it's been deprecated people should use the latest"
> approach, it's correct and it's the right choice - real life doesn't
> always work that way and there are points where having to maintain
> something at a specific version is required (part of the reason I
> embarked on my latest project).
>
> So I'm not going to hide the archive project I've got going here

We don't plan on hiding vault either. It will be at MIRROR_ROOT/ for those who
look for it.

> , in
> fact I fully plan to promote it and make a few things simple with
> regards to it (Example: want to install Red Hat 5.0, great here's the
> pre-setup network installer have fun is something I'm planning on
> implementing - do I think it's going to get a lot of use? No. Is it
> rather trivial at this point? Yes. So no real harm done for the few
> crazies who want a 10yr old distro).
>
> That said I more or less flipped this "live" overnight but
> archive.kernel.org is now up and serving bits, specific to CentOS is:
>
> http://archive.kernel.org/centos-vault/
> ftp://archive.kernel.org/centos-vault/
> rsync://archive.kernel.org/centos-vault/

We've been mirroring vault for quite some time and also include debuginfo.
Before vault was store+debuginfo and those names live on:

ftp,http://mirror.nsc.liu.se/centos-store
ftp,http://mirror.nsc.liu.se/centos-debuginfo
rsync://mirror.nsc.liu.se::centos-store
rsync://mirror.nsc.liu.se::centos-debuginfo

I guess we could rename store->vault since I don't think too many depend on
that path.

/Peter